[LLVMdev] Summer of Code

douglas douglas at dcc.ufmg.br
Wed Mar 31 19:29:03 PDT 2010

Hi, LLVM'ers,

   I have written a proposal for a Summer of Code project, and I put
it on the wiki of our lab, here:
http://www2.dcc.ufmg.br/laboratorios/llp/wiki/doku.php?id=douglas_soc.
If possible, I would like to receive some comments, as I have still
some days to change it until the deadline, which is on April 9th. My
adviser, and a colleague from the lab have also reviewed the proposal,
so the English should be at least 'palatable'. One thing that I would
like to receive suggestions is about the best way to test my analysis.
I am proposing to implement a range analysis pass on LLVM. In order to
test it, I am proposing to implement a pass that changes the types of
variables used in the LLVM ir, in such a way that we can convert
32-bit integers (i32) to 16, 8 or even 1-bit integers. This pass
would, for instance, improve register allocation in the x86, which
allows to place two small variables into registers such as AX, BX, CX
and DX.

Warm regards,

Douglas