[LLVMdev] RFC: Criteria for backing out patches

Duncan Sands baldrick at free.fr
Wed Jun 16 00:27:38 PDT 2010

Hi Gabor, if a change you make breaks an out-of-tree project, then I reckon
the least that project can do is supply you with a testcase, or if that's not
possible at least interact with you to track down the source of the problem.
In the case of dragonegg this has happened a few times, for example one of
Evan's dagcombine changes broke the d-e bootstrap.  IIRC, I reverted his
initial patch, which he later reapplied with some fixes, which eventually was
reverted again, reapplied with more fixes and so on - this went on for some
time while I worked on reducing a manageable testcase.  I forget how it ended,
but the point I would like to make is that it all happened amicably, with both
Evan and I clearly interested in finding the root of the problem.  When this is
the case, it probably doesn't matter much whether patches are backed out or not,
since progress is being made.

Ciao,

Duncan.