[LLVMdev] Tool for run-time code generation?

David Piepgrass dpiepgrass at mentoreng.com
Fri Jul 16 12:22:57 PDT 2010

> > What's wrong with running LLVM on ARM?
>
> LLVM can generate code for ARM, but the JIT requires extra target and
> platform dependent stuff, and that's not done for arm-wince.

The release notes say "compiler_rt now supports ARM targets". What else is needed? Keep in mind that I do not need (or want) Clang or any of the optimizers: I just want to generate small sequences of machine code in-memory (on the heap, I assume) and execute them.

By the way, LLVM comes with 66 projects (BrainF, bugpoint, Kaleidoscope, llc, etc.) and it's not obvious which one(s) I actually need to accomplish this "simple" use of LLVM. Is there a list of all the targets and what they are for?

> > It's supposed to support ARM as a target, and since it's written in C
> > it should theoretically compile for ARM.
>
> LLVM is C++, although it has C bindings.

Right, sorry, that's what I meant.