[LLVMdev] LLVM C bindings and Boehm GC

James Williams junk at giantblob.com
Tue Jan 5 15:34:43 PST 2010

Hi,

I want to use LLVM as replacement code generator for an existing self
hosting compiler. I hope to replace the existing BURS code generator with
LLVM in order to take advantage of LLVM's JIT, optimizations and wider range
of targets. I'm planning on ditching my existing IR completely and using my
language's native call mechanism to call the LLVM C bindings.

I've got a couple of questions I'd be grateful if anyone can answer:

My language in general and the compiler in particular rely heavily on Boehm
GC. I'm assuming that LLVM is OK with being linked into a process that's
using libgc? I really don't want to write a garbage collector!

My existing IR has no structured type information. All structures are layed
out exactly for the target machine before intermediate code is generated and
array and intermediate code for class/struct field accesses are all pointer
operations. I'm assuming this approach will work with LLVM provided sizes
match the target machine and I cast everything correctly?

-- James