[LLVMdev] About setting up official git & bzr mirrors.

Tobias Grosser grosser at fim.uni-passau.de
Tue Feb 2 03:36:52 PST 2010

On 01/28/10 09:49, Christian Plessl wrote:
> Due to a current need to have a git mirror for LLVM, I'm resurrecting this old thread.
>
> I'm aware that there exist already LLVM git mirrors at git://repo.or.cz/llvm.git and git://github.com/earl/llvm-mirror.git  However, these repositories only mirror the current SVN trunk and do no provide any branch and tag information, which would be very convenient for creating experimental branches that arise from a particular LLVM release. Also, the collaborative features of repositories like github would allow to easily share changes.
>
> As Oscar mentioned in his post, it no longer possible for ordinary users to create such a mirror via git-svn, due to the measures take for protecting the SVN server from these kind of actions (probably through mod_dontdothat).
>
> Is there any plans to provide an official git mirror for LLVM which does not only track the SVN trunk but provides also the branch and tag  information from SVN.
>
> It's probably not very useful to have the whole SVN history since revision 1, for my purposes, having the history from LLVM 2.5 onwards would be sufficient.

I always had the impression that for git-svn to work the whole history
is required. This is why I use the http://github.com/earl repository for
my git work.

To make work with git effective everybody should have the same base
repository. This is why it does not make a lot of sense to have
different repositories starting at different commits. The advantage of
an official llvm git repository would be that there is a know base
repository for all of us.

Tobi