[LLVMdev] Reviewer for our Path Profiling Implementation

J Nelson Amaral amaral at cs.ualberta.ca
Fri Dec 24 17:07:13 PST 2010

On Fri, Dec 24, 2010 at 5:06 PM, Andrew Trick <atrick at apple.com> wrote:

> On Dec 21, 2010, at 7:57 AM, Bob Wilson wrote:
>
> >> To get some idea about the number of people who could be involved in a
> >> project like this, I would like to ask for a quick show of hands: Who
> would
> >> be interested in contributing code to LLVM-with-profiling? (Either
> actual
> >> profiling code, or passes that use profiling information.)
> >> Who would want to use the branch, even without contributing?
> >
> > I'd really prefer to work on trunk.
>
> In the near term Adam's patch profiling should be checked into llvm/trunk.
> I think it's important that it live on the same tree as the current llvm
> profilers with which it's tightly integrated. As we work toward implementing
> Bob's profiling proposal, it will either need to be integrated with the new
> framework or it will be removed along with the other stale profilers. Even
> if it's removed from trunk, the original implementation will still be
> available in working condition from subversion. We should be able to
> maintain a reference to it in the latest source or docs.
>
> -Andy

Andy:

This is a reasonable proposal to give developers interested a chance to try
Adam's implementation of path profiling in the short term. We ourselves will
be experimenting with the use of this implementation in some code
transformations to see if we observe any impact on performance.

--
        Cheers,

                Nelson

           /
    \     /  /   Jose Nelson Amaral - amaral at cs.ualberta.ca
     )   /  (    Professor
    /   /    \   Dept. of Computing Science - University of Alberta
   (   /      )  Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, T6G 2E8
    \ O      /   Phone: (780)492-5411      Fax: (780)492-1071
     \      /    http://www.cs.ualberta.ca/~amaral
      `----'