[LLVMdev] LLVM based project idea in computer security

Nicholas S. Childers nickchilders at umail.ucsb.edu
Tue Sep 1 13:25:44 PDT 2009

Hello,

First, I apologize if this is the wrong list for my inquiry. I am a
student at UCSB working in Computer Security and I had an idea that
would make heavy use of llvm. The idea is to use llvm as an IR /
compiler for dynamic binary instrumentation, along the lines of the
VEX IR in the valgrind tool. I was wondering if this idea had been
previously discussed or if someone is currently working on it?

My hope is that llvm, given its highly portable nature, will be more
conducive to cross platform support. My dream is to have a highly
portable tool similar to valgrind, although I am aware that much of
the difficulty in porting valgrind does not stem from it's IR
representation but rather dealing with system calls specific to the OS
(which on windows will probably make writing any type of dynamic
binary instrumentation tool the closest thing to working in hades).

Anyway, I am in the process of doing my due diligence, checking for
previous work and related topics. I would very much appreciate input
on this subject and I thank you for your time :)

--
Nicholas Childers
nickchilders at umail.ucsb.edu