[LLVMdev] VMKit: msil optimization

Anton Korobeynikov anton at korobeynikov.info
Sat May 16 08:09:25 PDT 2009

Hello,

> As for the state of the MSIL backend of LLVM, I don't think it's for
> production use yet. Assemblies have lots of information in them and
> maintaining them during the MSIL -> LLVM -> MSIL translations should be
> the hard part.
This should be pretty hard. MSIL is definitely much more high level
than LLVM, that's why significant portion of information will be lost
during MSIL => LLVM (=lowered to vmkit-specific stuff), so I doubt
that sane back reconstruction will ever be possible (consider e.g.
callvirt instruction as an example).

--
With best regards, Anton Korobeynikov