[LLVMdev] VMKit: msil optimization

Nicolas Geoffray nicolas.geoffray at lip6.fr
Sat May 16 07:00:11 PDT 2009

Dear Rudiger,

RĂ¼diger Klaehn wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> is it possible to use LLVM to optimize existing .NET assemblies?

It's in theory possible. LLVM+VMKit already does it for Java classes.

> Basically doing the following:
>
> - read in MSIL and convert into LLVM internal representation
> - perform global optimizations on LLVM internal representation
> - write out optimized MSIL using the existing LLVM backend
>
> I presume that the capability to convert MSIL into LLVM internal
> representation exists somewhere in VMKit.

Although I haven't worked on VMKit's .NET for a long time, and it must
surely be broken for larger programs than HelloWorld, adding the
capability should not be too hard. It was really straightforward to add
it to VMKit's JVM.

As for the state of the MSIL backend of LLVM, I don't think it's for
production use yet. Assemblies have lots of information in them and
maintaining them during the MSIL -> LLVM -> MSIL translations should be
the hard part.

Cheers,
Nicolas