[LLVMdev] lli on ARM simulator

Jim Grosbach grosbach at apple.com
Mon May 4 09:56:11 PDT 2009

On May 3, 2009, at 7:25 AM, Geoffrey Tochukwu Ndu wrote:

> I am currently looking at LLVM's JIT and would like to build an lli
> tool
> for an ARM simulator such as simple scalar. I would be grateful if
> someone
> could point me in the right direction.

To run lli, you can build LLVM as a canadian cross compiler (i.e.,
such that the built tools run on a different architecture than the
build machine). To do so, use the appropriate triples for the --build
and --host configure options suited to your environment. Note that
this assumes that you'll have an OS running on the simulated target
suitable for launching a command line application like lli. If you
have an arm-linux port for your target, you should be most of the way
there (if not completely). If your environment is different, such as a
custom OS of some sort, you'll have a bit more work to do, as you'll
need to teach LLVM how to build for your target runtime in order to
bootstrap up to having lli, and the LLVM libraries that the JIT uses,
available.

I would suggest having a look at the build infrastructure for LLVM and
how the libraries are built then linked in to the lli application.
That should give you an overview of which pieces you'll need to bring
in for whatever custom JIT runtime you have in mind.

Regards,
   Jim