[LLVMdev] MSIL codegen

Nicolas Geoffray nicolas.geoffray at lip6.fr
Mon Mar 30 03:54:12 PDT 2009

Hi Artur,

Artur Pietrek wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I work in Kalray (Montbonnot, France) and I'm PhD student at Universite
> Joseph Fourier in Grenoble.
> We want to use LLVM framework for MSIL code generation, which is part of
> my thesis.
> Currently I'm still reading LLVM's documentation and I've started
> completing the MSIL backend for running on Mono.

What's the rationale for generating MSIL in your case? Is it to use the
.Net libraries or to leverage execution of your programs on a .Net VM?
In both cases, have you looked at VMKit? (http://vmkit.llvm.org) Is
there a reason why it would not fill your needs?

(Not that I want you to consider improving VMKit for your gsoc, but I'm
just wondering why do you want to generate MSIL if it's to run it on Mono).

Thanks!
Nicolas