[LLVMdev] LLVMContext: Suggestions for API Changes

John Criswell criswell at cs.uiuc.edu
Wed Jul 15 11:26:27 PDT 2009

Owen Anderson wrote:

> On Jul 15, 2009, at 9:53 AM, John Criswell wrote:
>
>> Owen Anderson wrote:

>>> The high-level change was already described and discussed on LLVMdev.
>>>
>> First, did you discuss it or announce it?  There's a difference.
>>
>> With its high traffic volume, I don't read all llvmdev mails anymore.  I
>> pick and choose based on their subject lines.  A subject entitled "API
>> Change: LLVMContext" will probably get my attention while
>> "Multi-threading support for LLVM" will not.
>
> How about a subject line "[LLVMdev] MAJOR API CHANGE:  LLVMContext"?
Yes, that particular message fits the first criterion: it announces the
change in the subject line.  I thought you might have been referring to
other emails about LLVMContext that I didn't see, but you weren't; you
were referring to the above message.

However, IMHO, the message from June doesn't clearly state what is to
change.  It tells me static methods will be removed, but it doesn't tell
me where they are re-implemented.  It assumes I can infer that by
understanding how LLVM uniques values.

-- John T.