[LLVMdev] Qs on building LLVM passes

Keun Soo Yim yim6 at illinois.edu
Sat Jan 17 22:27:05 PST 2009

 Hi,

 I have couple of questions that those who design unconventional passes
would be interested in.

1.       How to move a virtual register data to another new virtual
register?

It seems like that there is no LLVM instruction similar to mov machine
instruction.

Arithmetic or logical operators could be used for integer variables

but what about pointer variables?

2.       What is typically IR-level pass execution order? Especially when we
separately execute

the front-end, IR optimizer, and back-end, this information seems to be
needed.

3.       In code generator, how can we add new instruction in a way that
back-end consider

this added instruction for its instruction scheduling and register
allocation?

 Thanks in advance.

 - Keun Soo