[LLVMdev] LLVM MinGW binaries on Vista issue

Jon jon.forums at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 08:17:44 PST 2009

> The main idea of llvm-gcc is to be a drop-in replacement of gcc. So,
> if you know how to install & run gcc on your system, you should be
> able to do the same with llvm-gcc (thus no "Getting Started" entry).
> Basically the only "packaging differences" wrt normal gcc is that
> we're shipping w32api & mingw-runtime packages with llvm-gcc. Surely,
> you still need binutils installed (to get linker + assembler).

Ahh.  After extracting "binutils-2.20-1-mingw32-bin.tar.gz" into the llvm-gcc dir, I'm up and running.

What threw me was the projects inclusion of 2 of the 3 other pieces that make up a typical manual install of mingw or http://www.tdragon.net/recentgcc/  I saw the runtime and w32api stuff in my very quick scan of the llvm-gcc dir and didn't bother to confirm binutils :(

I still would like to see this packaging info made a bit more visible outside the ML, as well as a note clarifying whether the binary setup is still valid when the w32api, mingw-runtime, and binutils packages are updated (independently of llvm-gcc) with newer binary versions from mingw.org.

It would be really helpful for those of us who currently only have a teeny bit of time to start looking at LLVM and are really bad at keeping our curiousity in check :)

Take me up on my offer to submit a doc patch...point me to the proper html source and I'll send you a diff for review.

Jon