[LLVMdev] detailed comparison of generated code size for LLVM and other compilers

Chris Lattner clattner at apple.com
Mon Dec 14 09:46:28 PST 2009

On Dec 14, 2009, at 7:33 AM, John Regehr wrote:

> See here:
>
>   http://embed.cs.utah.edu/embarrassing/
>
> There is a lot of data there.  Please excuse bugs and other problems.
> Feedback would be appreciated.

Hi John,

I agree with the gcc folks: it's really important to get frame pointer
emission etc aligned across the various compilers.  ICC defaulting to
frame pointers off and GCC/llvm defaulting to them on will seriously
warp the numbers.  Also, while I agree that compilers should all
optimize undefined behavior away as aggressively as possible, I also
think it's not a very "interesting" test in the grand scheme of
things. :)

Very interesting work though, I hope to have some time to dive in more
later,

-Chris