[LLVMdev] building whole-program bitcode with LLVM

Rafael Espindola espindola at google.com
Mon Aug 3 17:57:07 PDT 2009

> Initially we had hoped simply to replace gcc, as, ld, etc. with their
> LLVM counterparts in the standard build systems, but we haven't been
> able to make that strategy work.  Several different approaches along
> these lines fail in various ways.  Some have recommended the Gold
> plugin, but it's not clear from the documentation that it does what
> we want, and we haven't been successful in installing it yet.

Right now it will produce a native object file, but it might be
possible to hack it
to dump an IL file on the side. It is in a good position to do so
since the linker
passes it all the IL files, including the ones that are inside archives.

> Thanks!
>
> -- Terence Kelly, HP Labs

Cheers,
--
Rafael Avila de Espindola

Google | Gordon House | Barrow Street | Dublin 4 | Ireland
Registered in Dublin, Ireland | Registration Number: 368047