[LLVMdev] building whole-program bitcode with LLVM

Torvald Riegel torvald at se.inf.tu-dresden.de
Sun Aug 2 07:32:38 PDT 2009

On Saturday 01 August 2009 03:11:57 Kelly, Terence P (HP Labs Researcher)
> Initially we had hoped simply to replace gcc, as, ld, etc. with their
> LLVM counterparts in the standard build systems, but we haven't been
> able to make that strategy work.  Several different approaches along
> these lines fail in various ways.  Some have recommended the Gold
> plugin, but it's not clear from the documentation that it does what
> we want, and we haven't been successful in installing it yet.

Could you summarize the failures/issues that you found with this kind of
approach?
We'll have to do sth similar eventually, and up to now I excepted that
customizing the compiler/linker should work most of the time. Perhaps with the
help of a custom-written linker-wrapper (using llvmc).

It would be great if you could share howto's / Makefile patches / ... once you
can build some of these large applications with the LLVM tools.

Thanks,
Torvald