[LLVMdev] xcodebuild and LLVM

Ted Kremenek kremenek at apple.com
Thu Sep 11 21:30:15 PDT 2008

Hi John,

I'm not certain if libtool works with LLVM bitcode files, and I don't
think that all of the tools that manipulate/inspect object files on
Mac OS X understand bitcode files either.  I suspect that this will
change over time.

I believe that Devang and others who implemented LTO on Mac OS X can
probably provide you with specific details of tool support for bitcode
files.

Ted

On Sep 9, 2008, at 12:13 PM, John Criswell wrote:

> Dear Ted and All,
>
> Thanks.  This has helped some.  However, I'm now getting errors from
> libtool about an object being modified after free.
>
> Is libtool supposed to work with LLVM bitcode files?  If so, would
> grabbing the latest source potentially fix the problem (I'm currently
> using XCode 3.1), or will I need a way to convince xcodebuild to use
> something other than libtool?
>
> -- John T.
>
> Ted Kremenek wrote:
>> On Sep 3, 2008, at 3:12 PM, John Criswell wrote:
>>

>>> Dear All,
>>>
>>> Is there a way to convince xcodebuild to build bitcode files for
>>> LLVM
>>> for an arbitrary Xcode project?  So far, I've been able to get
>>> xcodebuild to use LLVM by installing XCode 3.1 and using CC="llvm-
>>> gcc"
>>> on the command line.  I've also managed to get LLVM bitcode
>>> generates
>>> for intermediate files by using "CC="lvm-gcc -emit-llvm"; however,