[LLVMdev] Questions on using LLVM to build a VM

Tyler Wilson TWilson at ugobe.com
Mon Sep 8 13:13:31 PDT 2008

Good day,

Firstly, I am very new to this project. I have dug through some of the
documentation, but cannot find a satisfying answer to some questions I
have. I hope somebody here can edify me.

I am interested in embedded a LLVM 'VM' inside an embedded ARM-based
device. That is, I want to be able to load and execute .bc files
directly in an embedded system.

The questions:

-          Are there any more direct examples of doing the above?
-          I am unclear on how the .bc is 'linked' to the external
functions it calls. For example, if I have a 'print' or 'playSound'
function implemented in my firmware environment, and have properly
exposed it to the LLVM front-end language, how does the connection and
actual function call occur at run-time?

If I can get answers or pointers to answers, that should get me started.

Thank you,
Tyler