[LLVMdev] building for sparc-sun-solaris2.10

Luke Dalessandro luked at cs.rochester.edu
Fri Oct 31 15:03:15 PDT 2008

Mike Stump wrote:
> On Oct 31, 2008, at 1:10 PM, Luke Dalessandro wrote:
>> I've started trying by trying to get sparc-sun-solaris2.10 (niagara)
>> working. It appears that neither llvm nor llvm-gcc will build natively
>> on the system, so I think that I need to build an llvm-gcc cross
>> compiler.
>
> Get a gcc binary from someplace, use that to then build it, then
> install and use that, presto, done, and much easier than anything else.

Hmm... I'm not exactly following this. I have gcc installed on all of
the systems that I work with.

>> The documentation for building gcc (in general) as a cross compiler
>> seems to be somewhat dated...
>
> The scheme has not changed (much) in the past 15 years.

Good.

>> 4) Build a glibc.
>
> No, I'd nix this part.

OK, I didn't understand the dependency on glibc. I was just following
that IBM document.

>> --without-headers
>
> ?
>
>> --with-newlib
>
> ?
>
> These two are wrong.  You don't want to use newlib.  You want to use
> headers from solaris, as otherwise, you'll get:
>
>> ../../../../src/llvm-gcc-svn/gcc/tsystem.h:90:19: error: stdio.h: No
>> such file or directory
>
> :-)

OK. So I've discovered --with-sysroot which seems to be grabbing and
patching the include files correctly. Now it's dieing with

   ./options.h:462: error: 'HOST_BITS_PER_INT' undeclared here (not in a
function)
   ./options.h:462: error: bit-field 'padding' width not an integer constant

which appears to be llvm-gcc specific because it doesn't happen in
vanilla 4.2.4.

I'm definitely moving forward though. Thanks for the advice.

Luke