[LLVMdev] LLVM as compiler course infrastructure - thanks!

Matt Elder elder at cs.wisc.edu
Mon Oct 27 16:03:43 PDT 2008

Charles Fischer and I, at the University of Wisconsin - Madison, have
adapted our CS department's graduate compilers course to use LLVM. We've
found it quite commodious, and a vast improvement on the system we'd
been using previously.

So, first of all, to the LLVM devs - thanks many times over for making
LLVM as good as it is. I admit that I haven't seen many, but LLVM is
easily the least horrible compilation system I've ever worked with. :)

Also, a question: about how much work do you suspect is required to make
`llc` dynamically pluggable in a manner similar to `opt`? If ... someone
... was to do this plumbing in a reasonable way, would it likely get
pulled up into a later version?

If you're interested, you can have a look at the kinds of assignments
we're doing with LLVM here:

http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~fischer/cs701.f08/asg2.llvm.html
http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~fischer/cs701.f08/proj3.llvm.html

Thanks again,