[LLVMdev] CMake builds clang.

Óscar Fuentes ofv at wanadoo.es
Sun Oct 26 13:58:43 PDT 2008

Chris Lattner <clattner at apple.com> writes:

[snip]

> That said, I don't really think the file globbing is that big of a
> "feature".  If it turns out that we don't get it with cmake, that's
> ok.

Automatic file globbing is, at least on GNU systems, possible with
CMake. It would require some added complexity, and this I want to
avoid.

File globbing saves a minute or two per year and developer. Just one
broken build caused, directly or indirectly, by a bug on this feature
would send down the drain all the time you saved on the whole life of
the LLVM project.

OTOH, achieving a build system that is efficient and easy to maintain
would be a major gain. Once it is finished, I expect that some minutes
of study would be enough for understanding how the LLVM CMake build
system works. Add an hour more and you will be ready for some major
maintenance work, without previous CMake experience. Apart from its
multiplatform, multitool character, this is where CMake is vastly
superior to autoconf & gmake.

--
Oscar