[LLVMdev] mem2reg optimization

David Greene dag at cray.com
Tue Oct 7 15:07:38 PDT 2008

On Tuesday 07 October 2008 16:13, Dan Gohman wrote:

> > No, it's analysis that depend on the orderings of loads and stores
> > (or any
> > instruction).  I ran across this need in another area.
>
> I believe that there are problems, but I'm not seeing what
> the problem is with an instruction ordering pass to be used
> by mem2reg. Can you be more specific, or point me to the
> thread where this was discussed?

Oh, use by mem2reg shouldn't be a problem.  But as you say, unless it's used
other places, why make it a separate pass?  My point was that the other place
I've found this useful is in an analysis pass and that's problematic because
the ordering won't be updated by PassManager even if the dependent analysis
is.  Therefore, the dependent analysis will compute wrong answers.

Let's not confuse separate issues:

1. mem2reg needs speedup that ordering can provide.  I propose we provide that
    within mem2reg itself for now to keep things simple.

2. Breaking ordering out into a pass is fine as long as only transformation
    passes use it.  It will not help analysis passes.

3. PassManager support for analysis passes depending on other analysis passes
    is a whole can of worms I don't want to touch right now.  :)

                                                 -Dave