[LLVMdev] Removal of Visual Studio project files.

OvermindDL1 overminddl1 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 19:46:22 PST 2008

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 9:11 PM, Óscar Fuentes <ofv at wanadoo.es> wrote:
> Chris proposed on IRC to remove the Visual Studio project files and turn
> CMake into the "standard" for building LLVM with VC++.
>
> If you have strong arguments against this, please voice them.

As long as instructions are supplied on how to pass in user defined
macros to the build system.  I have to turn off a lot of the extra
safety crap that VC2k5 and higher added otherwise a program of mine
takes 5 minutes to run (where with that safety crap disabled it takes
about 15 seconds, no joke on the times).  In the VC++ projects I just
select them all, right-click, properties, C/C++, Preprocessor,
Preprocessor definitions, and add 6 definitions in there to fix it.
Although you 'can' link together parts that do not include those, and
the linker does not complain for some god forsaken reason, all your
app does then is just crash, every time, no reason as far as you can
see.

I am sure I am not the only one that does that, so supplying such
instructions for how to add in your own preprocessor definitions would
be great.