[LLVMdev] Dynamic configuration for llvmc2

Patrick Walton pcwalton at cs.ucla.edu
Tue Nov 18 10:02:52 PST 2008

> If you don't care about such things - go ahead and think about sane
> design proposal, how one can hook any extra scripting language for
> llvmc2 without slowdown of 'main path'. This surely will be accepted!

Okay, I'll focus on this. The idea is that the TableGen-based
configuration would be preloaded into llvmc2, and then user-specified
Lua scripts, if supplied, would be able to augment or modify the
options, edges, and tools. This would give users an easy way to
customize llvmc2 to fit their needs.

Another interesting use case would be with out-of-tree front ends. They
could supply a Lua script so that when the user installs a new language
that uses the LLVM framework, their llvmc2 driver automatically gains
support for it without having to recompile. Cross-compiling would be
another example (and this is actually why I proposed this in the first
place): the user could augment the stock llvmc2 with a script that
replaces the system assembler and linker with the assembler and linker
for the target.

How does this sound?

Patrick