[LLVMdev] Dynamic configuration for llvmc2

Mikhail Glushenkov foldr at codedgers.com
Mon Nov 17 09:35:55 PST 2008

Hi, Patrick

First of all, thanks for your interest in llvmc2! Your feedback is very valuable.

> The llvmc2 documentation
> seems to imply that the static TableGen-based configuration will
> eventually be replaced by some kind of dynamically loadable
> configuration system: "At the time of writing LLVMC does not support
> on-the-fly reloading of configuration..."

Actually, that line was removed from the documentation not very long ago:-)
We now support dynamic plugins (via .so files and the -load option). So TableGen
is going to stay, but you won't have to recompile the whole driver to alter
llvmc2's behaviour (only your plugin).

The plan now is to make this functionality easier to use, so you'll be able to
just say:

llvmc2 --load MyPlugin.td MyFile.cpp

and have llvmc2 build and load MyPlugin.td behind the scenes.

If you still find this scheme cumbersome, I'll be glad to hear your comments.