[LLVMdev] Dynamic configuration for llvmc2

Patrick Walton pcwalton at cs.ucla.edu
Sun Nov 16 23:55:45 PST 2008

I've been working on some minor enhancements for llvmc2, but before I
submit them, I'd like to know more about where the driver is going.
Right now, llvmc2 uses TableGen at build time to statically create C++
files with hardcoded paths and command lines. The llvmc2 documentation
seems to imply that the static TableGen-based configuration will
eventually be replaced by some kind of dynamically loadable
configuration system: "At the time of writing LLVMC does not support
on-the-fly reloading of configuration..."

It seems to me that a dynamic configuration not based on TableGen would
be more in line with the "one-binary-fits-all" spirit of LLVM: that is,
it seems strange that LLVM and clang don't have to be recompiled in
order to run under different architectures, but llvmc2 does have to be
recompiled in order to cross-assemble or cross-link, since the paths to
the assembler and linker are hard-coded.

Is there work being done on this?

Thanks,
Patrick