[LLVMdev] Possibly Vista-related Windows/MinGW Compilation Issues

Jonathan Turner probata at hotmail.com
Thu May 29 20:14:51 PDT 2008

Greetings,

I seem to be butting up against what may be a Vista-related issue for mingw-based compilation.  I did some googling earlier today and found these steps: http://blogs.tedneward.com/2008/02/24/Building+LLVM+On+Windows+Using+MinGW32.aspx, which I followed.  But try as I did, I couldn't seem to get past the "tools" section of the compilation.  It seemed to always have problems in the opt/llvm-as area.

I also have an XP SP3 machine available, and I followed the exact same steps there (installing mingw, then installing msys, msysDTK, bash, bison, flex, regex, and libtool 1.5) - and compilation went without a hitch.

I'm currently trying to compile LLVM 2.2 (though I have tried LLVM from SVN, but I couldn't get any further).

So you can see what the errors are, in the "tools" section, I start getting pages of lines like these:

llvm[2]: Linking Release executable llvm-as (without symbols)
c:/Build/llvm-build/tools/opt/Release/AnalysisWrappers.o:AnalysisWrappers.cpp:(.text+0x14a): undefined reference to `llvm::CallGraphLinkVar'
c:/Build/llvm-build/tools/opt/Release/AnalysisWrappers.o:AnalysisWrappers.cpp:(.text+0x15c): undefined reference to `llvm::IncludeFile::IncludeFile(void*)'
c:/Build/llvm-build/tools/opt/Release/AnalysisWrappers.o:AnalysisWrappers.cpp:(.text+0x1e9): undefined reference to `llvm::RegisterPassBase::registerPass()'

I thought I'd messed up something related to the linker, but I couldn't explain why XP would work using the same steps.

Jonathan