[LLVMdev] 2.3 Pre-release available for testing

Morten Ofstad morten at hue.no
Wed May 21 09:07:24 PDT 2008

Razvan Aciu wrote:
> As I saw from the mailing list the MSVC 2005 patches were made to take into
> account the new files from the development branch, files which are not in
> the 2.3 release. So for now the below patch is the only one functional for
> the release. If I am wrong, please someone correct me.
>
> If someone can make a 2005 patch for the release branch, it is ok. Else, I
> am afraid that this one is for now the only functional one, with the
> drawback that it is made for MSVC 2008. If there will be no other patches,
> the alternative is that the 2.3 release will not work with any MSVC.
> Anyway, it is not so hard to sync the MSVC projects with the 2.3 release
> files and if someone with MSVC 2005 can do it, please do it.

Ok, I got the release_23 branch and added/removed files until it would build without errors. I didn't have time to test
the clang build, but at least this patch will make things compile so someone else can test it.

m.

PS. Visual Studio really hates how the operator new is overridden in User.h:42, you get thousands upon thousands of
warnings of the form:

warning C4291: 'void *llvm::User::operator new(size_t,size_t)' : no matching operator delete found; memory will not be
freed if initialization throws an exception

There's also quite a few other things you get warnings about, mixed use of struct/class for the same thing and
conversions from 64 bit to 32 bit that are potentially unsafe. Also constantfolding.cpp has two functions that don't
return a value (but have assert(0 && ...) at the end) at line 622 and 605 without calling abort() -- Visual Studio give
warnings about other places that _do_ call abort() as well, but I guess that's fine.