[LLVMdev] Forward: Discussion about custom memory allocators for STL

Tim Blechmann tim at klingt.org
Tue May 20 06:56:03 PDT 2008

> But I will reassert my point that using Boost as a library can be a good
> thing.  Yes, it's an additional dependence for llvm, but all of the
> parts of Boost I use are header-only and thus don't create a linking
> problem. Honestly, Boost is soo phenomenally good in places that's it's
> pretty much a second standard C++ library.
>
> In my experience, maintaining a private fork leads to trouble down the
> road.

hi all,

i was following the discussion about boost in llvm, since i am interested
in the llvm project, and personally using boost extensively for my own
projects ...

- header bloating: boost _does_ include lots of headers, but doing this,
it works around many compiler-specific issues (broken compilers,
different architectures ...) ... still, other libraries pull in lots of
headers as well ...

- linking issues: the boost sources can be statically linked into a
program, so there is no real need to manually link to the boost-generated
libraries ...

- bundling boost: from my experience it is easier to provide the
necessary subset of boost in the project's source repository ... myself i
am bundling a patched boost source tree with my application, that
supports gcc-4.3, submitting my changes upstream ...

- using boost: several boost libraries are going to be included in c++0x
and std::tr1/tr2 ... so they somehow become the new standard library ...

best, tim

tim at klingt.org
http://tim.klingt.org

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere
  John Coltrane