[LLVMdev] Forward: Discussion about custom memory allocators for STL

David Greene dag at cray.com
Mon May 19 17:17:56 PDT 2008

On Sunday 18 May 2008 09:02, Gordon Henriksen wrote:

> As for the 340, for an highly replaceable library comprising 1% of our
> LOC to bloat the source file count in our tree by 20%—after using a
> script to extract a perfect transitive dependency closure—well, I was
> on the verge of tossing it overboard. I can't blame Chris for his
> reticence to add such nonsense to LLVM, as it only serves to slow
> builds and source control operations for all.

Totally agree that we should not be pulling boost into the source tree.

But I will reassert my point that using Boost as a library can be a good
thing.  Yes, it's an additional dependence for llvm, but all of the parts
of Boost I use are header-only and thus don't create a linking problem.
Honestly, Boost is soo phenomenally good in places that's it's pretty
much a second standard C++ library.

In my experience, maintaining a private fork leads to trouble down the
road.

                                                 -Dave