[LLVMdev] Flamewars!

Chris Lattner sabre at nondot.org
Tue May 13 14:43:17 PDT 2008

Wow, I think that was the first really potent flamewar we've had on
llvmdev.  Looking on the positive side, I think this shows that the llvm
community is growing and drawing interest from new people with new
perspectives.  This is a good thing.

I want to thank everyone who was courteous in their response.  As others
have said, it is really important to be polite and try to be
understanding, particularly on widely read mailing lists.  Sometimes it is
hard to understand what someone means or what perspective they are coming
from.  I don't think the occasional flamewar is disasterous to the
community, but we want to encourage a helpful and friendly atmosphere.

Finally, we want to encourage people to speak up if they have a question
or a problem.  llvmdev currently has 637 subscribers, and probably a large
number more that read through gmane and other aggregation services.  If
you have a question, feel free to ask.  When asking about something,
phrasing it positively is good, as is sticking to specific technical
questions.  Being argumentative is not generally useful, particularly if
you are new to the community.

-Chris

--
http://nondot.org/sabre/