[LLVMdev] Emotional responses to feedback

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Tue May 13 09:18:06 PDT 2008

Am Dienstag, den 13.05.2008, 22:47 +1000 schrieb kr512:
> A month or so ago someone harshly criticized me about
> something.  I didn't want to admit that his criticism was
> true.  But I did admit to myself that it was true, and that
> made me a little bit depressed.  Then I thought, "How can I
> fix this?"

Good.
Apply this to the question why you raised so many eyebrows here.

> Clearly some people here feel very passionate, fanatical,
> and emotional about this project, and are consequently
> unable to read any constructive criticism and feedback about
> it without taking it personally and going bonkers-bananas.

You came here with some not unreasonable ideas and wishes.

The problem is that as the inevitable communication problems arose, you
concluded that it must be the project that's run unprofessionally, not
you who may be asking the wrong questions.

Or, put another way: you've been on this list three days, and you think
that you understood the goals of the project well enough to give useful,
constructive criticism? You must be joking.

> But just remember, although I may say some negative things
> about this project at times, I AM ON YOUR SIDE.

Fine.
It would be interesting to hear your actual goals though.
We have heard a lot of things that you can't do with LLVM. What is it
that you hope to do? Most of the time, if the original approach doesn't
work, choosing a slightly different approach will do; the more context
you give, the easier it is to give useful advice.

> I am not saying negative things to try to hurt the project,
> on the contrary I am saying negative things because I want
> to HELP the project improve.

Most of your criticism has been unhelpful because the goals you state
are not on LLVM's agenda anyway.
A waste of time and energy on both sides, I'd say.

Regards,
Jo