[LLVMdev] Size and performance figures for LLVM?

Bill Wendling isanbard at gmail.com
Tue May 13 00:42:06 PDT 2008

On May 12, 2008, at 10:42 PM, Joachim Durchholz wrote:

> The concrete problem is that Ubuntu's way of doing cross compilations
> seems incompatible with LLVM's way of using the autoconf machinery.
> I've been told that this is Ubuntu's fault, but I'm sceptical: I have
> seen LLVM's autoconf do things that autoconf shouldn't do if properly
> set up.
> Unfortunately, nobody stepped up to clear this up, and I'm
> increasingly
> frustrated because I've been lacking the time to do it myself.

Sorry to step into this in the middle of a thread, but what exactly is
LLVM's autoconf doing that "autoconf shouldn't do if properly set up"?

I have some experience with autoconf. I don't know if I've ever seen
one "properly set up" before. :-) It's a tool that is used so that one
can do their best to fit the compilation to a machine and its
environment. As such, it's not great, but is frequently adequate for
the job.

-bw