[LLVMdev] Size and performance figures for LLVM?

Chris Lattner sabre at nondot.org
Tue May 13 00:12:00 PDT 2008

On May 12, 2008, at 10:42 PM, Joachim Durchholz wrote:
>> What specifically
>> are you looking for?  If you care about a specific metric, you should
>> measure it yourself.
>
> Sorry.
>
> I think there's some lingering frustration on my side at work. I had
> tried to get the nightly tester to run, found it difficult, had
> postponed it until I find the time to properly diagnose the problems,
> and now I find that my entire project was stalled because of this.

Surely you must appreciate that it isn't our problem :).

LLVM is an open source project.  As such, you should consider all the
people responding to your mails and doing stuff for you as
volenteers.  We are not slaves, we are people trying to help you out.
Please be courteous as you would be to anyone else you are asking a
favor of.

> The concrete problem is that Ubuntu's way of doing cross compilations
> seems incompatible with LLVM's way of using the autoconf machinery.
> I've been told that this is Ubuntu's fault, but I'm sceptical: I have
> seen LLVM's autoconf do things that autoconf shouldn't do if properly
> set up.
> Unfortunately, nobody stepped up to clear this up, and I'm
> increasingly
> frustrated because I've been lacking the time to do it myself.

Ok.  This is an open source project, which means you either do it
yourself, convince someone to help you, or pay someone to do it for
you.  I strongly encourage you to word your emails politely, which
increases chances of someone stepping forward to help you.  I know
nothing about ubuntu, or it's cross compilation scheme.  If you would
like some help, please describe in detail what the problem is.

> Devang's answer didn't seem to give any of the information he
> claimed it
> would, and that simply tipped me off.
>
> Sorry again, I didn't intend to vent my frustration.

Everyone has a bad day, no worries.

-Chris