[LLVMdev] LLVM as a DLL

kr512 kr512 at optusnet.com.au
Mon May 12 23:30:14 PDT 2008

Michael T. Richter wrote:
> Apparently the APIs in the LLVM docs missed your
> attention.  They're sneaky that way because, you know,
> they just form the bulk of available documentation.

I began my original message saying that I was providing
"constructive criticism".  That means I want to HELP if I
can.  Your sarcastic attitude is unprofessional.

> The command-line tools are convenience wrappers around the
> APIs, not the other way around.

Nevertheless, LLVM is not provided as a ready-to-use DLL,
unfortunately.

> I'm sure the LLVM lead (Chris, was it?) will gratefully
> accept any such functioning, tested code you can supply
> that generates the native object format you prefer.  This
> is, after all, how open source projects work for the most
> part.

Your arrogant attitude is surprising considering that you
are not even sure who the LLVM lead(s) is.

Would love to contribute code to LLVM but circumstances do
not permit it at the present time, maybe later.

> So... here's a thought.  Why don't you do that one-time
> work and host the compiled package up on a web page
> somewhere as a service to this open source community that
> will so eagerly embrace it?

LLVM currently fails to compile successfully in Microsoft
Visual Studio 2008.

>> GCC needs to be cut out of the back-end picture.
[...]
> So... your world doesn't include "gas" or "nasm" or any
> other such assembler?  You know.  The "gas" that GCC
> itself uses to assemble the .S files?

Then "gas" (GNU Assembler) needs to be cut out of the
back-end picture of LLVM.  If "gas" is required, then LLVM
is an incomplete back-end solution.  Also, "gas" is not
available on Windoze.  I talk about this in more detail in
my other thread.

As for NASM, NASM outputs unfinished object files that
cannot be executed.  To translate the object files into
executable programs, a separate linker program must be used,
and such a linker program is not normally
available/installed on customer's computers running Windoze.
See my other thread.

Owen Anderson wrote:
> have you actually downloaded and built a copy of LLVM?
> I'm going to guess that the answer is no

LLVM fails to compile successfully in Microsoft Visual
Studio 2008.  See the email by Razvan Aciu.  The point is
that LLVM is difficult/awkward to use in a real-world
situation in Windoze.  This situation should be resolved.

Look at what the sqlite.org project provides, for example.