[LLVMdev] Proposal for GSoC project for improving llvm-test testsuite

Holger Schurig hs4233 at mail.mn-solutions.de
Wed Mar 19 09:51:34 PDT 2008

> "Didn't work" means... what? Compilation failed? Program
> doesn't work? Either way: what mesages do you get?

Hey, this was two weeks ago.

Compilation was fine, I get a binary. The game engine also emits
various log statemtens when it starts, but then stopped somehow.
Sorry for being so scarce on details, but I did this at home and
am now at work. At about 20:30 hours german time my kids are in
bed and I can give more details, even the exact llvm svn
revision that I used for my test.

> Are there any differences when compiling with the standard 4.2
> gcc? (Some distributions install gcc 4.0, you have to
> explicitly install gcc-4.2 to get the equivalent GNU
> compiler.)

I'm on debian unstable, so I have lot's of different GCCs to try
against. Normally I compile with the debian brand of gcc-4.2 and
there it works. It's an actively maintained project, it works
even with gcc-4.3 (this is from hearsay, not my own
experiments).

> Darkplaces is probably not a good test for the LLVM test
> suite.

I tried darkplaces because a) it's a complicated program, b) I
play it once in a while with the nexuiz data and c) it has a
benchmark mode, called "time demo".

However, I too think that darkplaces in it's current for isn't
for the automatic test suite because of the 3D hardware
requirements.

> Any failure may be due to problems with the 3D hardware
> or the drivers,

Maybe, but the game works correctly with several gcc compilers.