[LLVMdev] Proposal for GSoC project for improving llvm-test testsuite

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Wed Mar 19 08:59:17 PDT 2008

Am Mittwoch, den 19.03.2008, 14:49 +0100 schrieb Holger Schurig:
> > Just my two cents. From time to time I'm testing LLVM via
> > compiling & running such big beasts as Qt and Mozilla. Also,
> > at 2.0 time I tried to compile & test bunch of software from
> > KDE and many others.
>
> I tried to compile the 3D game engine "darkplaces" with llvm-gcc
> 4.2, but the produced binary didn't work.

"Didn't work" means... what? Compilation failed? Program doesn't work?
Either way: what mesages do you get?
Are there any differences when compiling with the standard 4.2 gcc?
(Some distributions install gcc 4.0, you have to explicitly install
gcc-4.2 to get the equivalent GNU compiler.)

> However, I didn't find out how debug this further :-/

No problem, just run a few preliminary tests. This will allow people to
determine what component the problem is in: code generator (if gcc works
but gcc-llvm doesn't), language semantics (if neither gcc nor llvm-gcc
work - probably a gcc problem then, playing around with -O2 or -O0 might
make the problem go away; if that still doesn't help, there's a real
possibility that the 3D driver or hardware is broken).

Darkplaces is probably not a good test for the LLVM test suite. Any
failure may be due to problems with the 3D hardware or the drivers,

Regards,
Jo