[LLVMdev] Question on use of subregs

Bagel bagel99 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 10:17:15 PDT 2008

I'm trying to write a backend for a machine that has both byte and word
instructions.  Both varieties of instructions operate on the same set of
general registers.  A byte mode instruction on a general register always clears
the upper bits.  Register-to-register byte mode and work mode instructions set
condition codes based on bytes and words and thus are not interchangeable.

Do I need to have separate classes of registers for the work and byte
instructions?  If so, I assume the byte registers are declared as SubRegs?

Also, this machine supports memory-to-memory operations in byte and word
flavors.  What do I need to look out for to support this.

If have looked at the X86 *.td's, but that architecture is so complex it is
hard to extract the information I need.

Thanks,
Bagel