[LLVMdev] LiveInterval Splitting & SubRegisters

Evan Cheng evan.cheng at apple.com
Wed Jan 23 00:01:17 PST 2008

On Jan 22, 2008, at 12:23 PM, David Greene wrote:

> Evan,
>
> Can you explain the basic mechanics of the live interval splitting
> code?
> Is it all in LiveIntervalAnalysis.cpp under addIntervalsForSpills
> and child
> routines?  What is it trying to do?

It's splitting live intervals that span multiple basic blocks. That
is, when an interval is spilled, it introduce a single reload per
basic block and retarget all the uses to use the result of the single
reload. It does not (yet) split intra-bb intervals.

> Also, in the ancient subregister coalescing code, there used to be
> an update
> of the SSARegMap to point subregisters to the superregister they were
> coalesced to (IIRC).  That has since gone away.  I used to use that
> in my
> code to return the correct live interval for a virtual register in
> the case
> where a subregister extract was coalesced.

Right. That has been removed because it's surprisingly painful to
maintain that information. Now subreg index lives on MachineOperand.

> That information appears to now be in RegSubIdxMap, which is local to
> runOnMachineFunction, so it's lost after the coalescer runs.  Do I
> not need
> to worry about this information anymore?

That's used at the end of coalescing to rewrite virtual registers.
It's purely local information.

Evan