[LLVMdev] LLVM and OpenMP

Vikram S. Adve vadve at uiuc.edu
Thu Jan 17 15:25:48 PST 2008

>> Yes, I'd strongly suggest implementing one of the approaches based
>> on the
>> chrec analysis we have in the scev pass.
>>

> Yup, just get the array accesses under scev form, and set a constraint
> system from these.  Once you set up the constraint systems for the
> dependence distance vectors, you're almost done.  You can look at how
> this is set up in gcc trunk tree-data-ref.c, and search for omega.
>
> I would recommend the omega test: get the c++ code for omega lib from
> http://www.cs.umd.edu/projects/omega/

Regardless of which solver you use, you should keep a clean interface
between your constraint representation and the solver.  I like Omega a
lot and it is a fine choice for the first solver.  Although it is very
powerful, even it cannot handle symbolic loop strides.  Perhaps more
importantly for common uses, for many trivial cases (A[x] and A[x+1]),
setting up the Omega data structures to invoke the solver can be too
heavyweight.  It could be worthwhile to add one or more simple solvers
(see the Allen and Kennedy textbook for examples) before falling back
on Omega.