[LLVMdev] LLVM 2.2 Release Notes

Dale Johannesen dalej at apple.com
Sun Feb 10 21:01:53 PST 2008

On Feb 10, 2008, at 12:25 AM, Chris Lattner wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> The first draft of the llvm 2.2 release notes are now available:
> http://llvm.org/docs/ReleaseNotes.html
>
> The release is scheduled for Monday, so please take a look at them and
> send me your feedback, or (better yet) just commit fixes directly to
> the document in llvm/docs/ReleaseNotes.html.  In addition to editing
> improvements I'm particularly interested in adding missing things to
> the document and getting credit to the right people.  Please don't be
> shy about letting me know if I got something wrong.

This is a matter of presentation, but some of the "GCC extensions" are
standard C99 (now, at least).  I noticed long long, C++-style comments
and designated initializers.

I have plenty of complaints about the GCC documentation you're
pointing at, but this probably isn't the right forum  for that.  I do
think dropping "as fast as macros" from the "inline" description would
be a good idea, that's pure propaganda:  sometimes it's true and
sometimes it isn't.

The miscompilation of code containing both MMX vectors and long double
may be worth a mention, but it probably isn't going to bite very many
people.  (llvm does not insert EMMS everywhere it needs to, or from a
different viewpoint, uses MMX when the user didn't tell it to.)

Giving me credit for darwin x86-64 EH is an overstatement, I just made
minor mods to existing EH code (Anton's I think).

Looks good overall.