[LLVMdev] Working on getting MingW32/native tools-only source build up

Kenneth Boyd zaimoni at zaimoni.com
Tue Feb 5 15:34:00 PST 2008

Anton Korobeynikov wrote:
> Hello, Kenneth
>

>> Using MingW32/GCC 4.2.1 binary release, mix of Cygwin and MingW32
>> auxilliary tools, ActivePerl's Perl 5.8.8; operating system Vista.  I'm
>> not going to worry about bootstrapping llvm-gcc until I know I can
>> bootstrap gcc.
>>
> Don't do this. Use either pure cygwin or pure mingw (with msys + msysDTK)
> installation. This will save bunch of time for you. Seriously.

Actually, the only prebuilt things on this setup that are cygwin are
bison 2.3 (recent MingW32 prebuilt bisons don't work, and I can't
build-from-source past 1.75 thanks to unbypassable use of fork() ), m4
"just in case", and openssh.

Other than that and Perl, I am mostly using the leading-edge prebuilt
binaries from the MingW32 website (including binutils).  make and grep
are locally built, and if I wasn't concerned about bison integration I
could build m4 locally.
>> 2) I'm getting massive link errors on template function instantiations
>> (no tools are being created), and won't have time to properly play with
>> this further "today".  It looks like they're being stripped out
>> prematurely; I'll be checking the GCC documentation for how to prevent
>> this when I do have time.
>>
> Well. This can be gcc/binutils bug or something like this.
GCC docs have mentioned that you have to go through specific flags to
prevent this.  I just need to look up what those flags are, and check
whether the *.o/*.a files are being stripped too aggressively.

Kenneth