[LLVMdev] Working on getting MingW32/native tools-only source build up

Anton Korobeynikov asl at math.spbu.ru
Tue Feb 5 14:00:14 PST 2008

Hello, Kenneth

> Using MingW32/GCC 4.2.1 binary release, mix of Cygwin and MingW32
> auxilliary tools, ActivePerl's Perl 5.8.8; operating system Vista.  I'm
> not going to worry about bootstrapping llvm-gcc until I know I can
> bootstrap gcc.
Don't do this. Use either pure cygwin or pure mingw (with msys + msysDTK)
installation. This will save bunch of time for you. Seriously.

> 1) ActivePerl uses the wrong shell (cmd.exe rather than sh.exe) when
> doing backticks.  I had to moderately rewrite llvm-config to use the Cwd
> module's abs_path function before it worked.
See upper.

> 2) I'm getting massive link errors on template function instantiations
> (no tools are being created), and won't have time to properly play with
> this further "today".  It looks like they're being stripped out
> prematurely; I'll be checking the GCC documentation for how to prevent
> this when I do have time.
Well. This can be gcc/binutils bug or something like this. I prefer to
be conservative and can declare, that everything is ok with gcc 3.4.5
and recent binutils available from mingw website.

--
With best regards, Anton Korobeynikov.

Faculty of Mathematics & Mechanics, Saint Petersburg State University.