[LLVMdev] explicit stack management

William Morgan wmorgan-llvm at masanjin.net
Mon Dec 1 14:40:42 PST 2008

Reformatted excerpts from Jonathan Bastien-Filiatrault's message of 2008-11-28:
> William Morgan wrote:
> > At the bottom of chapter 8 of the tutorial, on the topic of
> > closures, mentions that there are "often better ways to implement
> > these features than explicit stack frames". Does anyone know what
> > techniques this cryptic statement might be referring to?
> >
> I would say it means to have a "stackless" code generator. You may
> want to see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spaghetti_stack and
> http://www.nondot.org/sabre/LLVMNotes/ExplicitlyManagedStackFrames.txt
> .
>
> "Stackless" means that you do not use the "system" stack, but that
> rather, your language frontend manages the stack frames itself.

I'm familiar with spaghetti stacks, but doesn't that fall under the
rubric of explicit stack management? The comment in the tutorial implies
that there are alternative ways to implement closures besides things
like spaghetti stacks.
--
William <wmorgan-llvm at masanjin.net>