[LLVMdev] Is there room for another build system?

Óscar Fuentes ofv at wanadoo.es
Tue Aug 5 21:31:38 PDT 2008

[As this is turning off-topic, feel free to switch to private email]

Kenneth Boyd <zaimoni at zaimoni.com> writes:

> Note that the official MinGW GCC binaries generally are not
> bootstrapped; they're cross-compiled (presumably from CygWin).  [In
> particular, both the 3.4.5 and 4.2.1 MinGW binaries of gcc are not
> bootstrapped.]  I use MinGW rather than CygWin for political reasons, so
> running DejaGNU under CygWin isn't a real option for me.

If politics enter the game, this becomes too much complex for me, sorry.

> I've been using MSYS' for slightly over a decade now.

Is MSYS so old? IIRC its existence was first made public on 2001. At the
time I was an active MinGW-ist. (I'm getting old... :-)

> It's not nearly as tricky as you imagine, aside from not having *NIX
> fork() and the occasional adjustments needed to deal with confused
> configure scripts.

As mentioned above, MSYS is a Cygwin fork, tweaked for MinGW
friendliness. However, as you point out, MinGW developers prefer to
build from Cygwin. Maybe this comes from the previous MinGW developers
(pre-MSYS) who used Cygwin extensively, maybe there are technical
reasons for doing so.

[snip]

> The reason CMake won't build "out of the box" for me, is that it's
> *misapplying* the CygWin workarounds to MinGW -- and then refusing to
> write out something for me to fix up.

I'm having success building the LLVM libraries with CMake 2.6.1 on
MSYS, where 2.6 failed, IIRC. Maybe this was fixed.

--
Oscar