[LLVMdev] Is there room for another build system?

Kenneth Boyd zaimoni at zaimoni.com
Tue Aug 5 20:56:52 PDT 2008

Óscar Fuentes wrote:
> Kenneth Boyd <zaimoni at zaimoni.com> writes:
>

>> I'm indulging in this exercise to enable testing a native MingW32 build
>> of LLVM in Windows.
>>

> If LLVM's DejaGNU usage is the same as GCC's, I'll google or ask on the
> MinGW mailing list how MinGW testers run the GCC testsuite, before
> trying to fix something that maybe is not broken.

Note that the official MinGW GCC binaries generally are not
bootstrapped; they're cross-compiled (presumably from CygWin).  [In
particular, both the 3.4.5 and 4.2.1 MinGW binaries of gcc are not
bootstrapped.]  I use MinGW rather than CygWin for political reasons, so
running DejaGNU under CygWin isn't a real option for me.
>> There are more portability issues *between* shells, than across OS's.
>> If I go ahead with targeting bash, I suspect (by avoiding bash
>> extensions and otherwise being careful) that the resulting script should
>> work on any recent Bourne compatible shell.  csh will not be supported
>> at all (incompatible test operator syntax).
>>
>> Note that shell scripts can coordinate invoking other languages/tools;
>> targeting bash doesn't rule out using Tcl/Perl/Python/etc. where convenient.
>>

> AFAIK, there is no "native" port of `bash' on Windows. If you plan to
> use Cygwin's (or MSYS', which is a fork of Cygwin) you will discover
> that it is quite tricky to work with non-Cygwin processes (including
> MinGW's gcc) due to differences on directory structures, I/O, process
> control, etc.

I've been using MSYS' for slightly over a decade now.  It's not nearly
as tricky as you imagine, aside from not having *NIX fork() and the
occasional adjustments needed to deal with confused configure scripts.
Just remember to run configure and make from *within* bash (MSYS-3.1);
things are much worse with sh ./configure from the Windows command
shell, than ./configure within bash.

Best regards,
Kenneth

The reason CMake won't build "out of the box" for me, is that it's
*misapplying* the CygWin workarounds to MinGW -- and then refusing to
write out something for me to fix up.