[LLVMdev] Setting up new project

Lane Schwartz dowobeha at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 08:00:20 PDT 2008

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 9:41 AM, Lane Schwartz <dowobeha at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 9:39 AM, Lane Schwartz <dowobeha at gmail.com> wrote:
>  > Hi,
>  >
>  >  I am attempting to set up a new frontend project based on the sample
>  >  project (I'm following the instructions at
>  >  http://llvm.org/docs/Projects.html). In doing so, I hit a problem with
>  >  AutoRegen.sh which I worked around, and hit a problem with configure
>  >  that I don't know how to work around.
>  >
>  >  Below is what happens when I attempt to autoconf and configure the
>  >  sample project that ships with LLVM. This is on Mac OS X 10.5 with
>  >  autoconf 2.6.0. For reference, /opt/src-llvm is where my llvm sources
>  >  are, and where I built those sources. My project is in
>  >  /opt/src-llvm/projects/sample.
>  >
>  >  $ cd /opt/src-llvm/projects/sample
>  >
>  >  $ cd autoconf/
>  >  $ ./AutoRegen.sh
>  >  Your autoconf was not detected as being 2.5x
>  >
>  >  I have autoconf 2.6. To keep going I edited AutoRegen.sh and made the
>  >  following change:
>  >
>  >  8c8
>  >  < autoconf --version | egrep '2\.5[0-9]' > /dev/null
>  >  ---
>  >  > autoconf --version | egrep '2\.[56][0-9]' > /dev/null
>  >
>  >
>  >  $ ./AutoRegen.sh
>  >  Regenerating aclocal.m4 with aclocal
>  >  Regenerating configure with autoconf 2.5x
>  >
>  >  $ cd ..
>  >
>  >
>  >  When I compiled the llvm sources, I did not do make install. So the
>  >  object files are still where they were built.
>  >
>  >  $ ./configure --with-llvmsrc=/opt/src-llvm --with-llvmobj=/opt/src-llvm/Release
>  >  configure: error: cannot find install-sh or install.sh in
>  >  ../../../autoconf "."/../../../autoconf
>  >
>  >  OK. So maybe it wants the main llvm source directory...
>  >
>  >  $ ./configure --with-llvmsrc=/opt/src-llvm --with-llvmobj=/opt/src-llvm
>  >  configure: error: cannot find install-sh or install.sh in
>  >  ../../../autoconf "."/../../../autoconf
>  >
>  >
>  >  It looks like configure is not correctly accepting the flags I'm giving it.
>  >
>  >
>  >  Any thoughts on where to go from here?
>  >
>  >  Thanks,
>  >  Lane
>  >

>  I should mention that I get the same result if I run configure without
>  any flags.

> [...]

It looks like, in the generated configure script, the LLVM_SRC_ROOT
and LLVM_OBJ_ROOT variables are never updated to reflect the values
passed as command line flags. Only the LLVM_SRC and LLVM_OBJ variables
are updated. But, when the script looks for other scripts (like
install.sh), it looks in the LLVM_SRC_ROOT and LLVM_OBJ_ROOT
directories, not in the LLVM_SRC and LLVM_OBJ directories.

Thanks,
Lane