[LLVMdev] [llvmdev] Real backend?

nkavv at physics.auth.gr nkavv at physics.auth.gr
Tue Sep 25 10:25:25 PDT 2007

> Hello, guys.
> May I ask you something a little bit far from LLVM?
> In fact, I am not sure what's difference between real backend and backend in
> LLVM.
> Can you shed lights on me if you have any idea?
>
> Thx,
> SJL

The question is: what is real to you?
LLVM backends are real enough since you can generate assembly code for the
target machine (in addition to the "bc" bytecode files). You'll need you own
binary tools in order to go to executable for your target.

The LLVM backend concept is interesting, especially after the latest ports (ARM
and MIPS). However, it is seems that from release to release, LLVM has been
dropped off for Cygwin which the main platform for the users of my technology.

Kind regards
Nikolaos Kavvadias