[LLVMdev] LLVM Newbie. Questions about backend.

Gordon Henriksen gordonhenriksen at mac.com
Fri Oct 26 06:02:01 PDT 2007

On 2007-10-26, at 05:52, Sami Ahlberg wrote:

> Question 2:
> What kind of information if any the front end needs about the
> target architecture? Am I able to use gcc front end to compile for
> the new architecture and what if there are 32- and 64-bit versions
> of the architecture? Is there an alternative front end and how does
> that handle the same issues?

To use llvm-gcc, you'll need to specifically enhance it with support
for your architecture. llvm-gcc does much target-specific processing
before and during LLVM IR codegen; its output is not at all portable.

In the LLVM IR, portable code is possible, but not guaranteed. llvm-
gcc effectively never generates portable IR.

— Gordon